Projects

Recent and current projects. Search the archives for old projects.

World War II Command Centre

May 2014

World War II Command Centre

During the construction of a bus tunnel through the Brisbane CBD in 2006, the remnants of a World War II Command Centre were uncovered. The command centre was built in the basement of the Roma Street Police Station by reinforcing the existing walls with reinforced concrete and providing escape doors.

More images

location

Ipswich Railway Workshops Conservation Management Plan (2014)

May 2014

Ipswich Railway Workshops

The Ipswich Railway workshops were established in 1864 in conjunction with the construction of the first railway line in Queensland from Ipswich to Toowoomba. The first section of this line from Ipswich to Grandchester was opened in 1865.
The main purpose of the workshops was initially to assemble locomotives, wagons and carriages imported from Britain. Once the railway was in operation, the workshops then took on the task of maintaining and repairing the rollingstock. Later the workshops began to manufacture locomotives, carriages and wagons. By the early 20th century, the workshops had became a substantial complex undertaking a wide variety of tasks.

The workshops were a major employer with more than 3000 staff in the 1950s.

Ipswich Railway Workshops

Aerial view of Ipswich Railway Workshops in the 1950s (Courier Mail)

Location

St Joseph’s Cathedral, Rockhampton Conservation Management Plan

May 2014

St Joseph's Cathedral

St Joseph’s Cathedral, Rockhampton is an imposing and impressive Gothic building close to the centre of the city.

The cathedral was constructed in two stages. The nave and spires were built in 1893-99 and the sanctuary added in 1980-2. St Joseph’s Cathedral was designed by leading Queensland architect FDG Stanley and was built of local Stanwell sandstone in the gothic style.

St Joseph’s is one of the finest examples of a gothic cathedral in regional Australia with its dominant twin spires, sandstone exterior and interior, and stained glass windows. The stained glass windows were the work of leading English firm Hardman and Co.

St Joseph's Cathedral

Interior of St Joseph’s Cathedral

St Joseph's Cathedral

Stained glass windows in St Joseph’s Cathedral

Location

Astor Theatre, Surat Conservation Management Plan

April 2011

Astor Theatre

The Astor Theatre was built in c1925 and is located in the main street of Surat, a small town in south-west Queensland. The building was initially an open-air theatre with earth floor. The central section was later enclosed with a roof and a timber floor constructed. Regular screenings ceased in the 1980s but the building has remained substantially unchanged with seating, screen, projector room and equipment still intact.

The theatre was one of many erected throughout Queensland in the 1920s and 1930s as the cinema became a very popular and captivating form of entertainment. Most theatres erected during this period have either been demolished or adapted for other uses. The Astor Theatre is one of the few intact theatres from this era surviving in Queensland.

More images

Location

Maroochy River Lift Bridge Conservation Plan

February 2011

The Maroochy River Lift bridge was erected in 1921 by the Moreton Central Mill company. It was built as part of the expansion of the tram network in the district and was catalyst for the expansion of the industry on the northern side of the Maroochy River.

The bridge was decommissioned in 2003 with the closure of the Moreton Central Mill.

The Maroochy River lift bridge is the only example of this type of bridge in Queensland. Lift bridges were a form of moveable bridge that allowed the construction of a low level bridge while permitting the movement of vessels. Lift bridges were not common in Australia and were only built where it was necessary to provide clearance for vessels. In Queensland , most rail and road bridges were built over waterways that were not used by vessels requiring clearance. High level bridges were normally built when clearance was required. Lift bridge were only suitable and feasible in a situation such as on the Maroochy River that did not carry a large volume of watercraft.

location

Petrie Terrace Barracks archaeological survey and recording

October 2006

This survey focused on recording the remains of the former Petrie Terrace Gaol which was built in 1860. The survey and recording was undertaken in September- October 2006.

The gaol closed in 1883 and the site became a Police Depot. The cell blocks and walls were demolished but the kitchen and gatehouses continued to be used by the Police Department. These buildings were eventually demolished in 1940. Since the 1880s, the Police Department erected various buildings on the site, including a substantial brick building in 1938. The site was sold in 1987.

More images

location

Historical overview of the Great Artesian Basin

July 2006

This history was commissioned by the Department of Natural Resources and Mines. It was to complement a range of studies prepared to assists in the development of the Great Artesian Basin Water Resource Plan. Margaret Cook was the co-author on the project.

Surprisingly, little research has been undertaken on the history of the GAB, at least from a social and cultural perspective. This history explores some of the more significant impacts of the use for of the Great Artesian Basin, particularly in relation to the development of the pastoral industry, stock routes, railway and towns in western Queensland.

History of Targinnie

May 2006

Targinnie is a small rural commmunity north-west of Gladstone. Its history is not unlike many other rural areas of Queensland - Indigneous occupation, pastoralism, agriculture, timber and some mining.

Bladensburg National Park Conservation Plan

May 2006

Bladensburg National Park is located 20 km south of Winton. It comprises more than 84 000 ha and was formed as a result of the acquistion of Bladensburg Station in 1983 and 1993.

The homestead and shearing quarters remain. This conservation plan was to provide advice on conserving the homestead and shearing quarters.

Old Cork Homestead Conservation Plan

May 2004

Old cork homestead

Old Cork homestead is located 150 southwest of Winton on the Diamantina River. The homestead was built of sandstone in the early 1880s when Cork Station was partly owned by Thomas McIlwraith, the then premier of Queensland. The house is now partly a ruin, having been abandoned about 30 years ago.

See location

More images

Download
Old Cork Homestead Conservation Plan