Petrie Terrace Barracks archaeological survey and recording

This survey focused on recording the remains of the former Petrie Terrace Gaol which was built in 1860. The survey and recording was undertaken in September- October 2006.

The gaol closed in 1883 and the site became a Police Depot. The cell blocks and walls were demolished but the kitchen and gatehouses continued to be used by the Police Department. These buildings were eventually demolished in 1940. Since the 1880s, the Police Department erected various buildings on the site, including a substantial brick building in 1938. The site was sold in 1987.

More images